Sunday 15 May 2011

Prestwick Congress, Day 3

I woke up this morning in a cold sweat.  I had had a strange dream where Jedward had beaten Blue at the Eurovision Song Contest.  Checked the news and it was reality.  Oh this is not going to be a good day...

I watched the live streaming from the Eurovision pages.  They had a tweet page at the side and I could not stop laughing at the comments.  My favourite was "Can someone please tell me where in Europe Azerbaijan is???".  I have never fully understood why Israel, Azerbaijan et al are considered Europe by UEFA and so on when when clearly they are not.  Ach well, something for minds greater than mine to resolve.

When I woke up this morning at 5:30.  My first thought was "Why am I doing this to myself!".  I am spending about 4 hours each day to travel about 50 miles in total.  It takes me about an hour to get into Glasgow and just over an hour to get back out.  Remind me again why we are being encouraged to use public transport

I'll be fine once I have got started, motivation levels are low this morning.  I know once I get there and start winding up people I'll be raring to go :D

To say that today was eventful is an understatement.  My surmising above was correct, when I got there and got into it I felt  really good and got into the swing of things in no time whatsoever.  I was privileged to witness one of the funniest games of chess I will ever see.  The game was between David Deary and David Gillespie.  They would make a couple of moves then retire to the bar downstairs.  The person on move would pop up, make his move and then tell the other on return what his move was and how long on the clocks!  I have proof that they were actually at the board at the same time

Who's Round is it?
 
Would it surprise you if i said the game ended in a draw?

This afternoon was memorable for other reasons.  Thankfully everything is fine and I am really glad about that.  I was chatting to the Milton and McCusker families, having a laugh as we had done for most of the weekend when Donald came out of the playing hall and asked me to go in immediately as we needed a First Aider.  I could tell from the look on his face that this was serious and went in.  One of the players had taken ill and required my assistance.  Another player was a doctor and assisted me in getting him out of the room (at the players request!) and we sat quietly with him.  David had run down for a First Aider from the Airport itself and they attended.  Everything was fine and a paramedic arrived to check over.  Paul drove back with the player to make sure they were alright and I had a message from them to let me know they were ok.  A very happy ending to what could have been a nasty incident. 

I'm not ending on a low so here are the winners from this weekends event

1 comment:

  1. cheers Andy had to leave early so good to see the winners! am glad the person was OK who fell ill - hope they recover fully too :) love the Deary-Gillespie Barr Gambit haha!

    thanks to you and all other arbiters for your hard work and smooth running of the enjoyable tourney. Also well done Mr Congalton on a successful new congress.

    Luke

    ReplyDelete