Sunday 8 July 2012

Scottish Championships Day 2 - Of Bugs, Chess and Tennis

What a wonderful venue we have this year.  The rooms and halls are picturesque which has lead to quite a few near misses.  I would love for us to come back here but with the numbers we have, we are going to either have to offer to build an extension or play some games on George Square...

 
 Fabulous setting for a tournament!

Winner in Oban 1996
In keeping with the theme yesterday of former champs who are playing, today I managed a shot of the elusive IM Douglas Bryson.  For those who don't know, Dougie is the one person in Scottish Chess that you don't want to upset as he is in charge of the grading database!

Today we tried the release candidate for the Wireless boards.  I have spotted a few bugs it has caused but it has solved the vast majority of the issues we have had and the boards are now fairly easy to use.  Success!!

The main topic of conversation of course was the tennis and how Andy Murray was getting on.  In true Alex and Lara style, the set by set score was put in a prominent place for all to see with quite a few player popping over to watch the action on either Lara's or my laptop.

Watching the games today, I learnt something vital for playing against a GM.  Don't give them a piece for nothing (I'll let you look at the games tomorrow to work out which one I am talking about!)

So far so good.  Two days in and two fairly good days.   Here's hoping the next 7 are as good!

Finally for today, it is my son's birthday tomorrow.  As it is a work day we decided to go for a meal with Karen's dad, my parent and the 4 of us.  Quite happily sitting there when my mum tells me that she reads my blog!  I guess mum now knows that I am a complete fruit loop!!!

1 comment:

  1. "Watching the games today, I learnt something vital for playing against a GM. Don't give them a piece for nothing"

    Was this a premonition or did you have inside information about what was about to happen? (See Andrew Green's round 3 game!)

    ReplyDelete