Friday 2 December 2011

London Chess Classic - The set up

I am so tired.  It has been a long day today.  Sleeper arrived late after there was a signal failure in Carstairs.  2 hours we were there (apparently).  This meant that I faced the daunting prospect of crossing London with 8 sensory boards, 8 clocks, 8 sets, 8 wireless tranmitters, the batteries, 2 laptops, a camera and my clothes, all in all about 70Kg+ weight on a sturdy trolley during the rush hour.  Simples....

Ok maybe not so simples.  Euston station did not have a lift so I walked over to Kings cross.  Member of staff would not let me through so I demanded they get their supervisor.  He objected to my trolley saying it was not allowed.  I simply put it on its end and used it in the vertical mode it is capable of and the argument was ended.

Finally got over to Earls Court station.  There was no lift between the underground and the surface, even worse, it was stairs.  It is not often that I am grateful that the trolley has a stepper on it for stairs!

Arrived frazzled.  Dave and Steve were delighted to see me as were Albert, Adam, Tau and Malcolm.  I seem to have made an impression here before!

Something new for us to do this year.  A twitter game.  The GM's took on the world.  Honestly it was hilarious.  I was standing there assisting with the technical aspects of it with tears streaming down my face.  We really have to try this again, it was brilliant!

Do you think they really know who they were speaking to
 
In the end we have a scoresheet that was signed by them all that will be signed for a charity auction.  Roll on tomorrow and the start of the competition proper.

Oh and as a closing comment.  One famous person at the press conference today, seemed to think that there were 8 rounds in a 9 player all play all.

No comments:

Post a Comment