Saturday 5 July 2014

Commonwealth Chess Championships 2014 - Day 6 - The future is not bright nor orange!!

Day 6 and I am not at the venue yet!   Today marks some anniversary of something that happened in another country that causes a vocal minority to dress up in strange looking costumes and march down a street with flutes and drums.  Never understood it (as I was brought up abroad) , never will, never want to!

Today started brilliantly.  First 2 busses didn't turn up and I am not out of my town and we hit the first of a bazillion diversions.  Chances of making it on time for the start of play?  About 1 in 2 to the power of my overdraft!

At 11 we are going to be "entertained" by the march coming past the venue.  Oh goodie he says with all the enthusiasm of someone who has discovered seagull droppings in his beer.  At Ayr I announced to the players to pause the clock until it passed.  Given the potential size of this, we could be looking at an hour.  Earplugs at the ready then!!!

The funny thing is I think our visitors will enjoy it.  I have often heard it referred to as Scotland's Secret Shame but if you didn't know what it is about, it is impressive. Maybe one day I will take the time to understand it (then again I have paint to watch drying...)

Stuck behind this on bus. 7:30am!

After three rather loud passes of the hall (and the emphasis is LOUD) we can finally get down to some serious chess.


Way too loud!!
Game the day has to be the Kramer v Kramer, Cain V Abel, Grant v Grant.  Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, the brothers Burnett!!

No fingers were broken in the taking of this picture...
Being an arbiter means that sometimes I am asked to deliver strange messages.  None was stranger than the one I am about to deliver....

I am speechless!  Now should I tell the player when he is playing or wait until he finishes.  I'd better check the position first!  Nope not the kind of position where I want to disturb a player!

I have been trying to get a photo of everyone taking part.  I think I have now managed it.  I also caught the elusive Mr Nobody!




Three rounds to go.  Tight at the top.  Tomorrow we start to look at norms and work out what people need.  Fingers crossed we see some Scottish names there!



No comments:

Post a Comment