Friday 10 December 2010

Liverpool Quadrangular 2010 - Day 0

Here I am, head in hands, turn my face to the wall....  We're off to Liverpool today for the annual quadrangular (hereafter known as the quad to save my spell checker).

By now everyone at the Dundee part of the trip will be getting ready to move off to the coach and they will start heading down.  I'm leaving London at 19:00 so will be one of the last to get there.  I am really looking forward to it.

There is a real sense of surrealism when you move between tournaments like this.  This afternoon I am surrounded by players like Anand, Carlsen and Kramnik.  Tonight it will be Daniel and Matthew, Sam etc.  I prefer the latter set as they have a sense of humour!

Jacqui has just texted me to say that the coach left Bothwell services on schedule

If I had to chose a list of things that would be hell on earth to do.  Travelling though London during rush hour would probably occupy the first 3 places.  Tonight was no different.  I felt really sorry for the family that had the misfortune to catch the ignoramus express with me to London Euston.  They had a family probably ages with my own, a young 4 or 5 year old who was getting battered by people who just did not care a jot for anyone but themselves.  I had enough and got out my walking stick which I had folded neatly into my bag.  Anyone who got too close to her got a swift rap on the ankles.  I put the bag on my back and she used the space it created.  How can people be so stupid...


I am now sitting in first class on the virgin express to Liverpool Lime street.  I don't normally travel this way but when your travel is paid for for doing a major event in London, it seems rude not to.  I love travelling by train.  It is by far the best way.  The food is good, the company even better.  Some Joker put me in the quiet carriage.

Last update from Jac is they are making good time and expect to be in on time.  That is provided the driver doesn't get lost.  I am not on the bus this time to navigate!

20:20 and Phil just sent me a text to let you know they are 33 miles away, I am in a place called Nuneaton.  I guess they are all hungry there then...

I arrived safely (which is more than can be said for the asda order).  Everyone here, fed and in bed.  see you all tomorrow  

1 comment: