Tuesday 7 December 2010

The London Chess Classic, Day 0

To begin with, Gentle Reader, please go easy on me,  I have never done this before.

They day started with an "unpredicted" 6 hours of snow in the Glasgow / Edinburgh area.  Knowing our countries inability to deal with 1/2 an inch of snow (that is 1.25 cm for any sensible people out there), I knew this trip could be doomed form the start.

Mid day and I was at the town centre with my Chess and Eve widow.  my phone starts buzzing telling me there was a text message.  It was from the school.  We are closing for the day, please pick up your child.  No problem we thought, it is a leisurely  15 minute drive.

1 Hour later....  I ended up pushing the car into the scheme.  I also pushed 6 other cars up the hill (including a 4 x 4!).  I am now convinced that a stupidity test should be part of the driving test.

As the afternoon wore on, the snow finally decided to move south and annoy our neighbours in England.  A quick check of the laptop told me that by some miracle, the trains were on from EK.  I was astounded.  Quick plan with the wife, Have tea, then I'd walk the 3.1 miles to the station and get the train there. Get into Glasgow, stop for a few pints then catch the Sleeper as planned.

Karen was not overly happy with this but given I was going to walk into Glasgow if the trains had been off, she agreed, 7pm, I left. 

8:10 I made it to the station.  Got on a train and headed into Glasgow.

At 2am we finally boarded the sleeper train.  It was late as either the driver could not be bothered, the points were frozen or they needed a backup engine from Edinburgh (all three excuses were given).

Highlight of the night was about 1am when the train manager noticed that there was a group of passengers huddled together in the departure lounge.  All other trains had left about 90 mins previously.  He walked in and said "I didn't know you were all here".  My reply was a very quick, "Well where else would we be, the train is not here!.".  Spirits were good as there were a few of us who were cracking jokes. (mainly at the Virgin Staff for not having a Kettle

No comments:

Post a Comment