Friday 8 July 2011

Scottish Championships 2011 Day -1

Ok, sitting on a bus on the way home from a works night out is probably not the place to be writing a blog.  Thankfully not too many shandies have been imbibed and I am still able to understand what I am saying.

Tomorrow is the start of the annual chess championships in Scotland.  This is quite probably the oldest running tournament in the world (something we might want to check up with El Guinness book of records!).

For all the hard work Alex has put into it this year, we have a grand total of 38 entrants.  We are 1 short of what we need for norms in that there is only 4 titled players and it is disappointing.  We desperately need to get a sponsor for the event before we end up back to the bad old days of 9 player all play alls.  The vultures are circling the noticeboard and the knives are out for the event.

On the positive side, this is my 4th Scottish as an Arbiter.  I love it.  It is worth the using the 1 week from my holidays.  If the 38 players enjoy the event then it has been worth it.

We have an interesting dilemma this year.  Unlike previous years where we have had players like Tate and Lyle and Marks and Spencer, this year we have Grant and Grant, yes Husband and Wife could end up playing each other in the quest for the championship.

Who is going to win it.  On pure skill and the way she plays chess, my money is on Keti.  I love watching Keti play, her chess is exciting.  Craig is on fire at the moment and it is a pity that we don't have the players there to give him the chance of a norm.  I think the winner will be one of these two

Either way, I am looking forward to it. 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck to everyone taking part, I am looking forward to seeing the games.
    Robert Rough

    ReplyDelete