Sunday 17 July 2011

Scottish Championships Day 9 - There can be only one!

"With heart, faith and steel. In the end there can be only one."




 In just under 6 hours time, one of these four people will be crowned Scottish Champion 2011.  Who will it be?  The maths is like something out of a Higher maths exam.  

For Anthony to win, he must win his game or draw with Jonathan winning
For Keti to win, she must win her game and Jonathan and Clement draw
For Jonathan to win, Keti must win and he wins against Clement
Finally for Clement to win, he has to win with Keti winning, or, and I really need to double check this, draw and the top board draws.

It's close, It's tight and there is next to no chance of a quick draw in these games, they are going to the wire folks!

We had a visitor today, another one of those shady characters who are involved with Rampant Chess.  I wonder if he also has a list of all the people in Scotland who have not bought one yet?


This morning we had to use the main hall for the weekend congress.  I decided to put the Minor on the electronic boards and broadcast the games.  I don't know about you, but I found them great fun to watch and far more enjoyable than the quick draws we have seen this week at times.  I wonder if this is the way forward to market chess,  Ignore the strong players and show the masses.  There is a perverse logic in that.


I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has been following this blog during the Scottish.  I started it as a bit of a joke and I now have over 400 people reading it each day,  which for someone who failed O Level English the first 2 times he sat it, is something my teacher would never have believed!  (For those who are not familiar with O Levels, I think they are called standard grades now).  I'd especially like to thank the people who have taken the time to speak to me to tell me they enjoy it (both by e-mail and verbally) :D

Plan is for a winners blog and I'll follow up with a review of the week.  

Enjoy the chess


Andy

3 comments:

  1. The blog adds some interest yes, lets hope you enjoy working on the live games as much?
    Carl

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Just watch out for the Chandeliers"? If you're talking about Geoff Chandelier that sounds like wise advice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy,
    Thank you so much for this blog and the website. Thanks also to Donald, and Alex, and Dick. It was a wonderful week.
    Vipin

    ReplyDelete