Saturday 9 July 2011

Scottish Championships Day 1

"The day has come, in our heart of hearts we know the day has come!"


Beautiful lyrics from the musical Martin Guerre.  How apt for today :D

Well here we are, day 1 is upon us, or as I like to refer to it, setup day.  Up at 6:30, on a bus by 7:10 heading over to Edinburgh to set the place up for the next 9 days of merriment.  Draw was done by Alex last night so all we have to do is set the live boards and "dead" boards up.  Nice and easy...

Camera is in my bag along with a new 55-250 IS lens.  4 stops of image stabilisation on this baby which means I can take shots at far lower speeds than before.  Testing in my garden has shown that I can now handhold as low as 1/5 of a second which is a bit on the excessive side!  Of course the 250 is not really 250 as my sensor is not full frame.  Works out about 320.  Not bad at getting shots of Chess players concentrating.

Will be updating the blog as the day goes on, this will be a short one as I need to finish about 3pm.  It is my son's 1st birthday today.  Was it really a year ago we were last doing this??

13:20  Only issue so far is board 10 is not broadcasting and boards 5-9 have to be manually uploaded.  Suddenly BOOOOOM

Thunder and lightning :D  Is Edinburgh destined for another storm?

15:00 time to leave for the day.   It is Euan's birthday so we are having a meal.  Uploaded the photos to http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.191374364250813.66217.177956778925905&l=976902c978 


See you all tomorrow (where I will comment on todays games)

No comments:

Post a Comment